Friday 4 November 2016

Achieving your desired hairstyle: Do's and Dont's


Let's just skip the pointless introduction and get on with the 6 points to achieving your desired hairstyle -->

1) Shampoo myth
which claims that shampooing daily should be avoided as it strips your hair of its natural oil. I've tried it for 2 weeks- shampooing only 3 times a week and it was such a pain in the ass plus I probably got some dandruff from that. True it did make my hair wavier from the hair oil but at the same time, it weighed my hair down and made it look greasy. I've developed my own shampoo routine- which is to try to shampoo once every two days, unless I have products in my hair or if I've swum that day. This way, my hair won't be dried out or become greasy.



2) Hair texture/length
If you have pencil straight hair I highly doubt that it's possible for a curly-hair hairstyle. Sure, maybe if you get a perm then yeah, it's possible. But you have to understand that not everybody is going to able to achieve a hairstyle that doesn't suit their hair texture or length. If you've got hair shorter than 3 inches there is obviously no way you can achieve this huge volume quiff vice versa



3) Pre-styling
This is another issue with my friends because they seem to think that blow-drying their hair is girly/ will burn their hair. Firstly, it's not. Secondly, heat-protectant. It's a little something you add in your hair before blow-drying to prevent it from drying out. I'm currently using Sidekick by Vilain which I've mentioned before in one of my product reviews. Do check it out because I highly recommend this product; in short, It's a pre-styler which volumnizes hair with a heat-protectant function.

By pre-styling your hair, your hair is automatically volumized it is so much easier to apply your finishing product. It also minimizes the use of the finishing product, thus saving money.



4) Choosing your hair products
There are so many hair products out there but just to generalize it- there're waxes, clays, pomades. fibres, putties, pastes etc. Different types of hair products will help you achieve different hairstyles. If you're going for a high volumnizes quiff, you might want to go for a wax which usually has a stronger hold with a more natural finish. For me, I tend to go for a more rugged messy hairstyle so I use a clay (Hairbond) which is amazing because it has a medium hold and is easy to apply. For a sleek, formal combback (double check name), apply pomade while your hair is still wet.


5) Applying products
Before applying whatever products, rub in your hands, emulsify. Don't chuck the a whole finger of hair product in a place and expect your hair to style itself. Also, don't use too much because it will make your hair look greasy and it'll weigh your hair down. Take just enough (about a 10 cent coin size), emulsify it and make sure the product gets applied from the roots to the tip of your hair to prevent it from being weighed down.


6) Experiment
Nobody's going to get perfect looking hair with a snap of their fingers. You gotta learn and try out different ways of blow-drying your hair and using different types of products. I remember when I first tried out hair-products, I got this orange colored Gatsby wax and I just straight up applied it to my fringe; Without spreading it through my hands and prestyling. I just took a finger full and smacked it in my fringe. Then I realize that pre-styling really helps and I tried out using gel at first, then moose and now a sea-salt spray. So yes do try out different ways to achieve whatever hairstyle and don't be disappointed if you don't get it on your first try. It'll take time and I'm sure that one day you'll have kick-ass hair.



Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts