Tuesday 15 August 2017

JPot Chilli Crab Steamboat: Food Review

I eat at JPOT a lot and 90% of the time I'll order their special JPOT broth as my soup base which is basically the plain old chicken broth. When I heard about the new Chilli Crab soup I was a bit tempted to try it but decided not to, until we came across their new set menu.


I was still a little skeptical but the meal looked pretty worth it so why not.

OK so here's the thing. My first thoughts about it before ordering was 'is it the sticky sticky kind of gravy that Jumbo uses for their chili crab or is it the legit watery kind of normal soup' and to my delight it was BOTH.


You start off with the normal kind of soup which tastes pretty damn good. And how they recommend eating it is to place the crab in the soup and cook it all the way till the end (trust me the soup will taste so much better and the crab was so so sweet at the end). When you're done steamboating, the staff will turn the soup into the thick chili crab sauce by adding corn starch and a raw egg. Actually now that I'm typing this out it sounds kinda sketchy and gross but trust me it tastes a lot better than it sounds!!


I thought that the crab tasted really sweet and honestly preferred it to the ones sold at Jumbo Seafood although the one there would obviously be fresher. Maybe it's because it was due to its sweetness from being brutally boiled for over an hour. It was also really easy to eat because the shell softened so much that it was possible to bite through it easily.


And here comes the best part of the set, the fried mantous!! It's been so long since I've had FRESH HOT STEAMING fried mantous and I've never been more satisfied after that meal! I know a lot of people like to dip their mantous into the sauce but that's the boring way of eating it. How I do it is that I dig a hole into the bun with my chopsticks and fill up with the chili crab so that all the savory goodness explodes in your mouth once I take a bite. You should try it too, all the cool kids are doing it (-;


Looks really trash but it is the BOMB


I highly recommend trying this out if you're going to eat at JPOT and remember to jio your friends because the more people try it, the higher the chances of this being part of their main menu so go go go!!


Ratings:
Food: 9/10
Ambiance: 8/10
Service: 10/10

https://www.jpot.com.sg/en/home

No comments:

Post a Comment

Popular Posts